About the course
Learn the basics of writing method statements in this interesting and engaging online course. It provides entry-level students with a comprehensive overview of safe systems of work and demonstrates how they can be effectively applied in a workplace context.
Risk management is an essential part of maintaining a healthy and safe working environment. A method statement or safe system of work is a document that stipulates how a task or project is to be undertaken to help ensure the safety of workers and prevent accident or injury from occurring in the workplace. After a risk assessment is carried out, a method statement is then used to decide on a logical outcome or course of action.
Once the risks have been identified, a method statement outlines what steps should be taken in order to reduce these risks and ensure that the project is carried out as safely as possible. This course guides students through each stage of the process and enables them to approach the task of creating, or assisting in, the production of method statements in the workplace with complete confidence.
Key Learning Points
The How to Write - Method Statement course is aimed at:
- Those whose jobs require them to produce and/or assist in the task of producing method statements in their place of work.
- Those who work in industries such as construction or engineering and whose jobs require them to work with dangerous substances, electrical equipment, machinery etc. on a regular basis.
- Any employers or employees who wish to increase their awareness of health and safety, enhance their existing knowledge and skill set and contribute towards creating and maintaining a safer working environment.
By the end of the course employees will:
- Understand what a method statement is and how it is applied in the workplace.
- Recognise the need for, and practical use of, method statements in a workplace context.
- Understand the key differences between a risk assessment and a method statement, and know when and how to use one in a workplace context.
- Be able to create a method statement for use in their own workplace.
- Know how to ensure that their actions, as well as the actions of other staff members, contribute towards promoting health and safety in the workplace.
- Recognise the importance of ensuring that all staff members understand their individual role and responsibilities in the event of a health and safety incident occurring, or accident or injury taking place in their place of work.
- Be able to communicate effectively and with confidence should any staff members be unclear as to what their role and responsibilities are in the event of accident or injury occurring in the workplace.
- Recognise the need to monitor the job/task/project to ensure that the requirements of the method statement are adhered to and properly implemented.
Advantages of this course
- Introduces the fundamental principles of writing a method statement and teaches students how to implement these safe systems of work within their place of employment.
- Hosted on our unique Learning Management System (LMS), which is optimised for use with PC, laptop and mobile device, and is designed to provide users with a slick and efficient user experience.
- Flexible and accessible: the course can be adapted to complement any learning style and tailored to fit into any schedule.
- Access to our online learning and networking platform, which is designed to make the process of learning a more fun and collaborative experience, via the integrated social tools.