Learning Support Assistant - Work Experience & Transition
Learning Support Assistant in Work Experience and Transition based in Oswestry Shropshire offering a salary of £15,990
We are an Ofsted 'Outstanding' college. We support students with learning difficulties and disabilities to live the life they want and to be as independent as they can be. We work hard to develop the skills needed for employment and independent living - our aim is to recruit the best staff possible to deliver this first class experience to our students.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Learning Support Assistant to join our Work Experience and Transition team. Reporting to the Work Experience Co-ordinator this role supports external work experience placements and transition into work for students, trainees and clients. You will also support the running of The Station Café in holiday periods.
We are a Disability Confident employer and we offer a guaranteed interview scheme for suitable applicants.
The role of Learning Support Assistant:
- Support external work experience placements, must be prepared to support students out of college hours. Shift work and weekend work may be required.
- Support students and trainees transition into work following their Derwen programme.
- Support students in their home areas in holiday periods.
- Undertake training as appropriate to gain required skills to support students effectively.
- Transport students to external work experience placement.
- Support student with travel training to placement
- Direct contact with work placement providers to ensure smooth running of programme
- Prepare ongoing diaries/reports for tutorials/reviews
- Work Experience team member – to prepare and deliver reports on progress
- Contribute to quality assurance activities as part of WE&T team. Attend departmental meetings.
- Health & Safety awareness and promotion in all aspects of job role to include risk assessments.
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the college’s safeguarding procedures to promote the welfare of vulnerable young people raising any concerns.
- Holiday cover at The Station Café.
The ideal Learning Support Assistant:
- Friendly and professional manner together with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinking with the ability to exhibit discretion and diplomacy in order to negotiate successful outcomes
- The ability to work independently and make informed decisions
- Be willing to work in student’s home area, including overnight stays
- Highly motivated
- The ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Relevant Industry Sector knowledge, Hospitality, Catering, Retail and Business/ commercial knowledge and experience
- Proven success of working within a similar role or vocation
- Some knowledge of Ofsted framework / external quality standards
- Some knowledge of Accreditation and RARPA
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects
- Outstanding communication skills with individuals/staff at all levels
- Highly motivated individual
- Competent in MS office
- Must be an experienced driver and be willing to undertake the mini bus training
We can offer the right candidate a well-resourced and modern working environment, situated in a beautiful rural setting. We have a fantastic array of employee benefits including on-site shopping and leisure facilities, final salary pension scheme, enhanced family-friendly policies, generous annual leave, staff discounts and extensive continual professional development opportunities.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and adults at risk and expect all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
Interviews will take place on Friday 24th November 2017