Museum Assistant (Audience Development)
Purpose of Role
This role will primarily involve supporting RAMM's Audience Development Lead and wider team in the planning delivery and marketing of a stimulating and varied programme of events and activities aimed at a broad range of audiences. The role will involve working with our marketing and communications team, writing engaging content and developing innovative ideas for social media campaigns aimed at broadening our audience base in line with our culture segments.
The Audience Development team is responsible for:
- All publicity, promotion, communications and design work relating to all museum activity including temporary exhibitions, events and activities.
- Programming and ensuring the successful delivery of all participatory events, including the public programme (talks, tours, demonstrations, workshops, classes, family activities and special events including films, music, dance, etc) and private and corporate hire events.
- Partnerships, programmes of work and projects relating to engagement of targeted and harder to reach audiences e.g. people with dementia and their carers, Exeter's Deaf Academy, older people in sheltered housing, and people with mental health issues, etc.
- Corporate and private hire of all museum spaces.
- The museum's volunteer programme which includes 140 volunteers who contribute 14,000 hours a year to activity across the museum service.
- The museum's skills development programme.
Main Internship Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration - organising meetings, minute taking, raising purchase orders, providing a central point of contact for the Audience Development Lead.
- Providing marketing assistance, including researching websites, writing copy, email marketing, implementing marketing campaigns, uploading content to websites.
- Assisting with the marketing of The Shop at RAMM
- Assisting with the execution of events and activities within the museum and art gallery.
- Liaising with partner organisations and colleagues.
- Research - gathering data using RAMM's Customer Relationship Management System and booking system as well as from visitor surveys and other sources.
Any other duties related to audience development at RAMM.
Training and Development opportunities
- Audience development is important and links to all aspects of how a museum plans, develops and implements its programme.
With support and guidance from a range of staff within this team this experience will be of considerable value to graduates in understanding how a National Portfolio Museum operates and although based within the audience development team there will be considerable opportunity for the graduate to work with colleagues across the museum.
The graduate will also get the opportunity to attend all audience development meetings in order to gain a wider perspective on audience development and an insight into upcoming projects and the associated concerns, issues, and opportunities that exist within a busy audience development department.
Level of Support
- Monthly 1-2-1 meetings will be scheduled between intern and manager but this post will also involve working very closely with the line manager on a day-to-day basis.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
- Flexible working patterns are available.
- Relevant undergraduate degree and an active interest in and/or experience of working in the heritage and museums sector.
Skills and Understanding
- Understanding of the role of audience development and engagement within the museum and gallery sector.
- Understanding of the appropriate use of social media for marketing purposes.
- Ability to write interesting and engaging content.
- Ability to effectively prioritise workload.
- Experience of using Microsoft Office.
- Experience of working as part of a team.
- Experience of undertaking research and writing evaluation reports.
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Able to use initiative.
- Positive attitude.
- Eager to learn.
- Professional communication skills.
- Critical thinking.
- Able to work effectively both alone and as part of a team.
- Good time management.
- Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW