Place of Employment: The post holder will be based at the Alnwick Cemetery. The nature of the post involves the post holder working in the cemetery and in a range of locations across the town. No vehicle will be provided. The post holder will need access to a vehicle and a mileage allowance will be paid.
Purpose of the job: To deliver a programme of planned activities across the town as directed by the Town Clerk and to assist the Cemetery Superintendent at Alnwick cemetery.
Specific Activities and Areas of Responsibility
- Assisting with cemetery maintenance as necessary.(including planting, grass cutting, clearing leaves, strimming, tree works and general maintenance)
- To assist the Cemetery Superintendent with burials, (helping with grave preparation)
Weekly inspection and maintenance of all bus shelters to include:
- Sweeping out and carrying out any small tasks/repairs where needed, including re-painting work
- Reporting any necessary repairs
Monthly inspection and maintenance of all public seats to include:
- Carrying out small tasks and repairs where needed, including re-painting and staining work
- Reporting any necessary repairs or replacements
Inspections of the Town Centre as directed by the Town Clerk, work to include:
- Maintenance of street furniture eg signs, map cases. Carrying out any small tasks/repairs where needed, including re-painting work
- Assisting Northumberland County Council Neighbourhood Services Team when agreed by the Town Clerk with for example litter collection, winter gritting where appropriate
Weekly inspection and maintenance of play areas to include:
- Carrying out any small tasks/repairs where needed, including re-painting work
- Reporting any necessary repairs
Weekly inspection and maintenance of Memorials to include:
- Reporting any repairs, maintenance or other works necessary
- Carrying out any minor tasks as appropriate (e.g. litter collection; graffiti removal, weeding; etc.)
- Weekly Inspection of Allotment Sites, recording and reporting any required site repairs and issues and reporting any identified site management problems
- Carrying out any maintenance as appropriate (hedge cutting, strimming etc)
- Keep notes and maintain records of all inspections and other activities
- Undertake any necessary training identified by the jobholder and/or by the Town Clerk so that all tasks are undertaken in a professional and safe manner
- Reporting of defective street lights, pot-holes, fly-tipping etc to Northumberland County Council
- Carry out any other duties as specified by the Town Clerk, including routine duties arising as a result of the further transfer of local services from Northumberland County Council.
As a guide, approximately 50% of the time will be spent in the cemetery (although this could vary from week to week).
Responsible to: The Chief Officer & Town Clerk and the Cemetery Superintendent.
Salary: NJC Spinal Column Scale 14-17, (Currently £16,231 - £17,372).
Working Hours: 37 hours per week.
Closing Date: Application Forms to be received by noon on 8th February 2016.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org;
Or post to
Chief Officer & Town Clerk,
Alnwick Town Council,
27 Fenkle Street
Further Information: If you require further information please contact Bill Batey Tel 07971 810267 or email email@example.com;
Interviews will be held on Friday 19th February 2016