Senior Finance Assistant
Birkdale School Sheffield
Senior Finance Assistant
Permanent - Full-time
We seek a Senior Finance Assistant to join the members of a tight-knit, very capable and multi-skilled team, whose work is invariably commended by the school’s Auditors for its detail and accuracy. The Senior Finance Assistant will have their own dedicated workstation and share an attractive office on the Senior School site with the part-time Bursar’s Assistant. In common with all other members of the section, the Senior Finance Assistant will report direct to the Bursar.
The main responsibilities of the role will be:
- Full operation of the Sales (Billing) Ledger, raising termly invoices and interim bills & credit notes for the school’s 800 pupils.
- Firm but sensitive credit control of the school’s customers, under the guidance and direction of the Bursar.
- Full operation of the computerised payroll (Earnie, supplied by Iris Software Group) for salaried staff, calculating and checking all regular and irregular payments & deductions, and producing monthly reports & analyses for the School Accountant and external bodies such as HMRC & Teachers’ Pensions.
- Maintenance of the main personnel files for all monthly paid staff (the Heads have auxiliary personnel files for teaching staff for appraisal, performance and discipline). Drawing up contracts of employment for non-teaching staff and giving advice to all monthly paid staff on the terms and conditions of their employment.
- Maintenance of the school’s single database of pupils and staff in the respect of all personnel and financial data.
- Arranging the hiring of all games and other transport and of external sporting facilities.
- Controlling and administering the use of the school’s facilities by external parties outside normal school hours, including the issue of tenancy agreements and rental invoices.
- Secretarial support to the Bursar as and when necessary.
- Cover for other section staff during times of holiday, illness etc so far as reasonable and competent to do so.
Birkdale is a very successful HMC day school of 800 pupils: boys 4 – 18 with a co-educational Sixth Form. The school is located in Broomhill, Sheffield close to the Universities or city centre but just 4 miles from the Peak District National Park. It is both a Limited Company and a Registered Charity. The Bursar’s Department has responsibility for most non-teaching functions, i.e. accounts, payroll, personnel, administration (general & company), maintenance (buildings, plant & grounds), catering, cleaning, health & safety, and site development.
The school’s academic results are excellent with around 90% of A Level entries resulting in A*-C grades in 2016. An exceptionally high standard of pastoral care creates a warm, caring and supportive environment with excellent relationships between students and with their teachers. The extensive range of extra-curricular opportunities in sport, music, drama, academic societies and outdoor pursuits nurtures the talents of individual students, helps to produce well-rounded young people and enrich the life of the community. Birkdale has a strong track record in winning regional and national competitions in many disciplines. Ongoing academic, pastoral and extra-curricular developments are underpinned by an ambitious programme of physical development.
A strong Christian ethos permeates the school: students are clear about Birkdale’s expectations of them and develop positive values and a sense of responsibility to others.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and the successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
Please follow the link below to the School’s website for more information. www.birkdaleschool.org.uk/vacancies
Closing date for applications: 7 November 2016