Linux Infrastructure Engineer
Job Title: Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Linux
Corporate Grade: AVP
Reports to (Line Manager's Job Title): Technology Partner
Business Area: Barclaycard Business Solutions (BBS)
Department/Function Level 1: Consumer Payments
Department/Function Level 2: Payments Technology Tower
Primary Location: Fleet (Hampshire)
About Barclaycard Business Solutions
Barclaycard Business Solutions is a portfolio of B2B2C (business to business to consumer) businesses including merchant acquiring, commercial payments, offers and point-of-sale (POS) finance.
Making our clients more successful is at the heart of what we do. We are unique. We are the only business in the UK which can make and take payments, putting us in a unique position to offer a broader choice of payment solutions and products to our B2B customers.
Our focus is on making clients more successful by allowing them to always make the sale, help them pay and to help them to promote and sell.
About Payments Tower
The primary function for the Payments Technology Tower is to support the Global Payments Acceptance business and in doing so running payment transactions for 30% of the UK high street, adding business value by leveraging technology solutions and payments domain/industry knowledge. The tower also operates across Barclaycard and the wider bank providing payment solutions where the other business units are acting as a merchant or in the operation of authorisations and settlement routing.
Overall purpose of role
As a member of the Infrastructure Team, the primary function of the role is to ensure the Linux based infrastructure is robust, resilient and compliant to PCI standards.
The individual will with other members of the team install, configure, maintain, support and optimise the RHEL environments and differing types of server either virtual or physical, storage and server hardware.
The individual will play a key role within the infrastructure team in supporting our Client facing teams enabling them to respond to the needs of the business.
The individual will ensure best practice is followed in a commercial environment that supports high profile transactional web sites using industry standards.
The individual will work closely with Development teams to ensure that new solutions are built to be highly available, scalable, supportable and secure.
The individual will manage and support production and test systems to high levels of availability, performance and Security at all times.
* Monitor and proactively improve the Groups Managed Service infrastructure and services, by administering the Linux environment and infrastructure technologies to ensure best practice engineering, administration and maintenance.
* Design, build, install and configuration of open source software applications.
* Carry out multiple project engagements while prioritising and resolving time-critical situations reliably
* Assess system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; designing and running system load/stress testing and escalating problems to vendor.
* Undertake Root Cause analysis in problem management for service interruption and recovery
* Create logical and physical designs of production and test environments.
* Analyse and optimise Linux based production and test systems and related components to improve the availability and performance of the various business applications.
* Use analysis and troubleshooting skills to review the existing infrastructures and implement tactical fixes and long term improvements with the aim of reducing the number of service affecting incidents.
* Alongside technical tasks, contribute to some project management elements to organise and implement the migration of existing users away from Legacy platforms.
* Design and implement highly resilient and secure 3 tier web infrastructures.
* Adhere to the formalised Change Management process within the Infrastructure technical team.
* Be a part of an on call rotation that does 24x7 monitoring, and be accessible via pager and/or mobile.
* Deploy security hardening standards that achieve PCI compliance.
* Help design and implement increased event and alert monitoring and performance reporting on server farms.
* Assist in mapping out current and future performance and scalability issues and solutions.
* Ensure compatibility of deployed infrastructure between dual data centres to maintain BCP and Disaster Recovery
Risk and Control Objective All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
* Strong Unix/Linux administration skills in a predominantly Redhat, multiple tier, diverse site, 24 x 7, financial environment.
* Extensive experience in administering, configuring and tuning
* Linux Kernel
* Strong Scripting and programming using
* Experience supporting environments with large (>100) numbers of Servers
* Extensive knowledge of Redhat Satellite, RHEL 4, 5, 6, TCP/IP, DNS, and DHCP
* Practical experience of monitoring applications via Nagios
* Experience with SFTP/FTPS
* Experience with SSL, PHP3, PHP4 and MySQL
* Experience with SMTP, POP3, IMAP
* Strong experience of VMware and Netapp
* Experience with applying server hardening standards
* Ability to build, rack and stack platforms within DC's.
* Must have excellent communications skills, ability to prioritise assignments as well as work on concurrent ones.
* The selected candidate must be able to work in fast paced environment and be available for out of hours working.
* Experience of certificate management/encryption
* Relevant industry understanding
* Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes
* Behavioural Competencies
* Creativity and Innovation
* Communication (verbal, written, and listening)
* Results and Achievement Orientation
* Ownership and Accountability
* Teamwork and Cooperation
There will be a requirement for the job holder to perform out of hour's activity as directed.
There might also be the need for occasional UK and overseas travel.
Role Profile Attestation
The content of this role profile is relevant for the role in question.
Name of reviewer: Noel Pleace
Role of reviewer: Technology Partner - Payments Tower
Date of review: 9th August 2016
Purpose and Values
Barclays has a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays and five core Values which underpin it.
Our Purpose is helping people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Put simply this is the answer to the question 'What is Barclays for?' and it should guide our every action as employees.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.