About the course
This particular course has been developed to help staff and managers across a wide range of organizations and sectors to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence. Participants will be helped to:
- Understand the human and financial costs of aggression and violence
- Recognize the warning signs of impending aggression
- Develop strategies for preventing aggression; defusing it; and dealing with the aftermath.
No one can guarantee that aggression will not occur, but well-informed staff can learn to recognize early warning signs, to implement strategies for preventing difficult situations from escalating into aggression, defuse aggression when it does arise and manage the aftermath effectively. That is precisely what this course is all about. The insights gained from this course could make all the difference between a well-managed situation that does no harm (and could earn you a lot of respect), and the potentially tragic consequences of dissatisfaction growing into aggression and ultimately becoming violence.
This course will make you better informed and more confident in facing potentially violent situations.
Who is the target audience?
- If your work brings you into situations where an aggressive response is possible, then this course is for you. It will teach you the basics of recognizing the potential for aggression, nipping difficult situations in the bud, reacting calmly to aggressive outbursts and dealing with the aftermath.
- You will need access to a printer to produce a hard copy of the e-workbook for making notes and doing the course exercises. Other than that you're ready to start.
- Recognize common causes of aggression
- Be better prepared for preventing difficult situations escalating into aggression
- Feel more confident in dealing with situations if or when aggression arises
- Appreciate what is involved in dealing effectively with the aftermath of an aggressive outburst