About the course
Would you like to be able to better serve the disabled people in your community?
Each year, the reported number of people afflicted with autism increases, and the autism community needs more people who are understanding of the condition and trained to help. Whether you are looking to make a career out of helping autistic people or just want to prepare yourself better for being accommodating to people suffering from autism, our course is for you.
Our online Autism Awareness course is specially designed to give you the education you need to help the autistic community. Whether you are looking to learn more about autism to help an autistic person you love or you are just looking to make a difference with people in the community, we are ready and waiting to help.
Learn about autism, and what you can do to help the autistic community
Module 1: Understanding the spectrum
- What is autism?
- Analysing the spectrum
- Learning disabilities
- Social and emotional development
Module 2: The autistic environment
- The new model of autism
- Autism spectrum disorders rising
- Toxic body burden
- The government’s role
Module 3: What causes Autism?
- Is autism caused by nature or nurture?
- Identifying early signs of autism
- Identifying autism in adults
- How does autism affect genders differently?
Module 4: Autistic behaviour
- How autistic behaviour can be challenging
- Child behaviour and how to identify autism
- Theory of Mind
- Addressing child behaviour
Module 5: Conducting a functional autism assessment
- Descriptive vs. experimental
- Cautions needed before performing an FBA
- Analysing the data
Module 6: Autism in the classroom
- Inclusion and proper placement
- Differentiated instruction
- Individualised educational plans
- Monitoring success
Module 7: Creating a positive support plan
- Event strategies
- Antecedent strategies
- Behaviour teaching strategies
- Consequence strategies
- Reinforcement and punishment
Module 8: Aging and long-term care
- Aging out crisis
- Functioning in society as an adult
- Support systems
- Consultations and legal documents
- Housing options
- Emergency preparedness
Module 9: Medication
- Anxiety and depression
- Behavioural problems
- Inattention and hyperactivity
Module 10: Community living and supports
- Family support
- Physical home modifications
- Early intervention programs
- In-home and out-of-home care
- After-school programs
- Behavioural therapy