About the course
Are you in search of a career path where you can use your strong communication and people skills while working as an active facilitator in helping individuals with struggles in their lives? Exploring the role of a Speech & Language Specialist through this introductory course will provide a general overview to the speech and language profession and the various ways that speech pathologists make psychological, physical, cognitive, and cultural impacts on the lives of their clients.
Speech & Language Specialist work with a wide range of clients to help develop and restore their communication needs. From individuals with dyslexia or down syndrome, to stroke victims who have lost the ability to speak, to someone who has acquired a traumatic brain injury that affects how their brain sends signals to their speech mechanisms, the needs of a speech pathologist are vast.
Speech & Language Specialist work diligently to provide the best, most appropriate, and realistic outcomes for those struggling with communication disorders.
Sign up for our Speech & Language Specialist: Level 1 course today to begin the endeavor to making a meaningful difference to the lives of those afflicted with disorders in communication.
Module 1: Overview of the Speech and Language Profession
- Job description
- Education and training
- Work environments
- Responsibilities of the speech and specialist
- Clients in need of speech and language services
- Moral and ethical guidelines
Module 2: Literacy Development
- Speech therapy and literacy
- Foundations in pre-literacy in infants and toddlers
- Early childhood language acquisition
- Continued oral and written language development
- Multiculturalism and bilingualism
Module 3: Speech and Language Science
- What is speech science?
- Anatomy and physiology of the face
Module 4: Properties of speech
- Other properties of speech and language
Module 5: Speech and language disorders
- Characteristics of speech and language disorders
- Causes of communication disorders
- Common speech and language disorders
Module 6: Other communication disorders
- Attention disorders
- Memory disorders
- Cognitive disorders
- Swallowing disorders