Reporting to Company Director
The main purpose of this role is three-fold:
- To oversee the Company's retail and catering operations (currently Walcot Street, Motcomb Street and the Warehouse Shops), and liaise between these sites and the central head office departments.
- To ensure that the Company ethos and brand standards (in terms of the quality of the offer, service, merchandising and display) are met in all sites
- To work to grow the sales, manage the stock and waste, and maintain the margins.
The ideal person for this role will have extensive experience of working within a retail and restaurant environment at a management level, and will have successfully managed a diverse team.
The role demands an inspirational leader, who is approachable, and has a hands-on management style.
This person must be able to successfully balance The Fine Cheese Co.’s cheese counter and retail objectives with the demands of a busy café.
The main areas of responsibility for this role are:
- To work closely with the Strategy Planner to support and have input into the strategic direction of the Cafés/Shops.
- To work closely with the Buyers, the Warehouse and Cheese Teams and Café Supervisors to ensure effective stock management (including stock-takes), and facilitate product launches and marketing and promotional activities.
- To work closely with the Marketing and PR departments to define a clear marketing strategy for the cafés/shops.
- To facilitate and plan staff training and development with the Cheese Team.
- To ensure cohesion between the sites and that merchandising/display plans and service strategies are adhered to.
- To monitor the financial performance of the cafés/shops, ensuring that all budgets are adhered to, and that the cafés/shops continue to meet, if not exceed, agreed targets.
- To monitor all direct and indirect costs to the cafés/shops, including wage costs, operating equipment costs and food and beverage margins.
- To devise rotas and sign off all holiday requests in accordance with Company’s policies and the needs of the business.
- To work closely with the HR team on recruitment, appraisals and staff retention, and to support them in order that they may fulfil their duties.
- To monitor and take direct responsibility for any guest complaints, ensuring that all feedback is communicated to the person/department responsible and that all complaints are answered in writing within a maximum of 48 hours of their receipt.
- To co-ordinate and be responsible for all maintenance requirements and service contracts for the cafés/ shops.
- To communicate effectively by holding regular meetings with all management and staff.
- To hold weekly updates with managers/supervisors, to set clear objectives and review performance.
- To have a good knowledge of the catering industry and the ability to network and build relationships, and to remain up to date with the local retail/restaurant markets and local competitors.
- To attend internal meetings as required, and to provide updates on your area of responsibility upon request.
- To enforce and comply with all Company policies and procedures that are fundamental to maintaining effective performance, communication and good business reputation.
- To enforce and comply with all statutory legislation and policy e.g. Food Hygiene, Fire, and Health & Safety, and to attend any training as requested by the Company and required by law.