CONTRACT - Software Development and Support Engineer
Our client's Equity Front Office Technology team is looking for a Software Development and Data Support Engineer on a contract basis. In this role, it is critical to have an excellent understanding of software and application architecture and a demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology. The successful candidate must possess superior technical aptitude, written and oral communications skills, and the ability to deal effectively with people in a wide variety of situations. As a key contributor throughout the entire application development and support life cycle, you will be required to think outside the box and bring your best daily.
- Proven data development skills within multiple database platforms.
- Equity utilises; MS SQL Server, MySQL, migrating to AWS 2018/2019.
- Triage and problem solve for our proprietary applications. Including; data investigations internally and with our various financial data vendors.
- Work with application end users to profile issues and help with daily tasks through Scripting and support tools.
- Communicate issues to the software development team and help with a 360-degree understanding of the problem from a user perspective.
- Participate to a high degree in the development process to enhance and address development gaps. R, Python, ReactJS, ASP, SQL are primary languages.
- Work with the software development team to help translate found bugs into robust test cases.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the proprietary applications you oversee.
- Ability to read and understand various data structures (SQL, XML, JSON).
- Exposure to some of the following concepts: object-oriented programming, software engineering techniques, quality assurance, parallel programming, databases, networking, etc.
- Understanding of ATDD, TDD, and test automation and desire to write simple, adaptive and iterative code.
The following are considered a plus:
- Experience building modern applications, with experience deploying to public or private clouds (AWS, Azure, OpenStack, Rackspace, etc.).
- An advanced level of relevant mathematical knowledge eg statistics, time-series analysis, algorithms.
- Equity markets exposure.
- High achiever who combines ambition with humility and is happy to let their performance do the talking.
- Demonstrable passion for technology, while using their problem-solving capabilities to deliver solutions utilising a top end engineering approach.
- Comfort in team delivery approach where strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods are required.
- Self-Starter who is comfortable owning an issue and driving it to resolution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views.
Strong academic record and BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related technical degree.