Craft Gardener – Walled Garden
Job Title: Craft Gardener – Walled Garden
Responsible to: Head Gardener, Grounds & Gardens Supervisor
Responsible for: Trainees, Student Placements and Volunteers
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 per week to be worked 5 days over 7 including weekend and evening duty rota
Closing date: 19th May 2019 (midnight)
Interview: Week commencing 27th May
Harewood House Trust is the charity that manages and maintains Harewood House and its immediate environs, by opening to the public as a visitor attraction and events venue which attracts in excess of 200,000 visitors a year. The House holds a magnificent collection of fine and decorative arts, with further attractions which include award-winning gardens, adventure playground and renowned bird garden. Hareward also has a commercial arm which includes a visitor activities programme, retail outlets, major outdoor events, conferences and corporate functions.
An opportunity has arisen for a full time Craft Gardener to join the dedicated team. The successful candidate will work closely with the Head Gardener and the Grounds & Gardens Supervisor to ensure the Walled Garden and its associated gardens and features, including the kitchen garden, orchard, frame yard, Bothy, rose garden and lawns are presented to a high standard and maintained in a safe, clean and tidy condition.
The role is varied and incorporates productive kitchen gardening, ornamental horticulture and grounds maintenance. The Craft Gardener in the Walled Garden is expected to carry out work in other areas and provide assistance to other teams across the site as required by the Grounds & Gardens Supervisor. Some aspects of this role are physically demanding and it requires working in all weathers. Safety checks, Risk Assessments and record keeping all form an important part of the role.
To be successful in the post of Craft Gardener in the Walled Garden, you will need to demonstrate a great deal of flexibility and enthusiasm for working as part of a collaborative team in a busy and varied work environment. We are looking for someone with a positive attitude and a great work ethic who is self-motivated and hard-working, with the ability to engage with visitors, colleagues and volunteers in a professional and friendly manner. Being committed to helping others, as well as being reliable and honest are essential qualities for the success of this post.
Key Result Areas
- Work closely with the Head Gardener and the Grounds & Gardens Supervisor to take a lead in planning and implementing horticultural work programmes and grounds maintenance schedules in the gardens as assigned
- Plan, implement and supervise productive fruit and vegetable cultivation programmes, ornamental planting schemes and general maintenance work in the Walled Garden and its associated gardens and features.
- Enthuse, organise, and supervise garden staff, trainees and volunteers as assigned
- Abide by the Trust’s Health & Safety Policy, carry out Risk Assessments, COSHH Asessments and Manual Handling Assessments
- Ensure that all machinery and equipment are used correctly and maintained in good condition; carry out safety checks and report defects
- Deliver high quality work and help others to achieve collective team goals
- Participate in the process of staff training and development
- Engage with visitors, host guided tours and implement interpretation programmes as required to deliver the best possible experience of Harewood and its Gardens
- Assist with the design, planning, installation and maintenance of special projects, exhibitions and seasonal activities throughout the grounds and gardens as required
- Be aware of and constantly vigilant to the risks of fire, theft and flood and at all times observe the current instructions regarding fire and security issued by Harewood House Trust
If the opportunity of becoming a full-time Craft Gardener in the Walled Garden at Harewood sounds exciting to you and you can demonstrate the flexibility, skills and qualities for the post, please go to our website https://harewood.org/about/blog-2/jobs/ to see full details. Applications should be made ono our application form, also available on our website.
We look forward to hearing from you.