Tax Utility Risk Advisor - 6 month contract - Canary Wharf
Tax Utility Risk Advisor - 6 month contract - Canary Wharf, London. Tier 1 Investment Bank.
The profile of Operational Taxes has seen an exponential increase in recent years as governments globally res post the financial crisis and as the focus on tax revenue collection increases. This increase in tax activity requires the Operations division to implement new processes to support these taxes. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who would like to make a direct contribution in managing operational tax risk within the Firm. This role is unique in setting the standard for how firms manage operational tax risk.
At a macro level, the multi-faceted and dynamic role requires the candidate to review existing operational tax processes, analyse the operational tax impact of tax regulatory changes and new business proposals in order to be able to influence the implementation of change, in a highly pressured environment.
We are looking for a candidate who is driven to provide consistently high standards, keen to identify and resolve issues, will challenge existing processes and controls whilst working with cross functional teams to implement operational improvements.
The successful candidate will preferably therefore
* Have a good understanding of transactional and/or withholding tax issues including identifying tax issues as they impact processes and the ability to read, understand and relay tax regulations
* Have the ability to be analytical, problem solve with a good attention to detail with a record of identifying and dealing with issues as they arise
* Be motivated, self-driven and excited by an operational role with changing priorities and objectives often with tight deadlines
* Possess strong team working skills, willing to put forward ideas and challenge current practice.
* Be a strong communicator with good organization skills as it will involve communicating to a large variety of people at many different levels within the firm.
* Be Proficient in influencing and impact in order to enact change within the division and across a large stakeholder group
* Provide cross Operational and Business Unit tax support in regards to operational taxes hence knowledge of the banking sector and ideally experience of working in an operational taxes environment or supporting operational taxes from a tax technical perspective
* Demonstrate good knowledge of Stamp Duty, Transaction Taxes, Withholding Tax or Capital Gains Tax regimes and how they impact operational processing and infrastructure
* Detailed tax technical knowledge of transactional taxes (eg Italian and French Transaction Taxes, UK SDRT, Irish Stamp Duty or Swiss Stamp Tax), withholding tax or capital gains regimes, and international reporting regimes such as CRS or BBSI.
Role & Responsibility:
* Monitor, review and implement tax policy/regulation changes that affect current tax processing and communicate the operational tax implications to various key stakeholders
* Work with the Corporate Tax Department and external tax advisors to interpret the legislation, provide steer on operational implementation and partner with various Operations teams and Business areas on actual implementation
* Create and document operational tax requirements, processes, policies and procedures for Operations to correctly set up systems to ensure tax compliance.