Job Title: Literacy Project Officer
Salary: £19,000 – 25,000 (Depending on experience the role may take on more management responsibilities at the higher end of the salary band)
Location: Based in our Lancaster office with some travel overseas to our offices in Valencia, Portugal and Nigeria.
Hours: Part time and full time hours possible
Contract: 12 months (with possibility to extend should funding permit)
Universal Learning Solutions is a not-for-profit consultancy that works with government, educators, donors and experts around the world to provide bespoke services that deliver innovative literacy solutions.
Our work enables and enthuses teachers to deliver high quality literacy tuition and builds the institutional capacity of partners through knowledge and skills transfer. This gives children of all abilities the skills needed to read and write and helps governments meet their global education targets.
Our vision is of a world where all children can read and write with confidence and enjoy their right to learn. Through this we believe we can help release a child’s infinite potential.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing organisation, helping to transform the literacy levels of millions of children in low-income countries. The Literacy Project Officer will enable government schoolchildren in Nigeria, and beyond, to read and write through supporting the fundraising and implementation of our state and national-level literacy projects.
The successful candidate will support state level projects in Nigeria by providing overall project guidance and budget management. This will require close and sensitive liaison with government and non-government actors, as well as local project staff and the project beneficiaries. They will also input into the development of new teaching materials, build key partnerships and alliances and spearhead new initiatives to strengthen the capacity of local teams.
- Project Quality
- Provide support to Nigerian project coordinators on project direction and implementation strategies
- Identify and implement innovative solutions to sometimes complex challenges
- Ensure that best practices, lessons learned, and constraints are consistently captured and shared across the state-level literacy project programme
- Coordinate regular project planning and coordination meetings with local monitoring teams to ensure that programming is consistent
- Organise regular opportunities for communication and exchange between project staff throughout the country programme in order to promote greater programmatic integration and facilitate discussion on crosscutting issues.
- Managing Quality
- Manage Universal Learning Solutions project funds in accordance with Universal Learning Solutions and donor rules and regulations
- Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and Finance Manager to ensure that Universal Learning Solutions funds, donor funds and other resources are used responsibly
- Work closely with Chief Operating Officer and Finance Manager to ensure that budgets are managed in accordance with Universal Learning Solutions and donor regulations and that financial reports are timely and accurate
- Project Staff Support
- Directly support the state-level project coordinator and wider monitoring team via regular communication and feedback systems
- Ensure that all project staff have job descriptions, and roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate with the monitoring team to ensure that all local staff are able to successfully fulfil their job responsibilities while at the same time supporting their professional development
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and proven ability to lead a dynamic and diverse group of people
- Strong teamwork, coordination and strategic planning skills
- Ability to deal effectively with deadlines
- Ability to respond practically and operate successfully in difficult field conditions
- Willingness to travel to and work in remote areas
- Ability to be flexible, persistent, and diplomatic and to gain respect among local staff, local community leaders as well as local government ministries
We will require candidates to be qualified in the majority of points below:
- Degree or equivalent in education or a related field
- Understanding of working with partner organisations from varying cultures and backgrounds
- Professional experience and/or academic training in the area of education, monitoring and evaluation or other relevant fields
- Strong organisational management skills, including the ability to prioritise tasks, time management, adherence to tight deadlines, and the ability to handle multiple activities
- Understanding or experience of project management including budget management, project planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience of working with an education or literacy organisation preferably in the developing world
- Strong cultural awareness and the ability to work with partners both nationally and internationally
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Capacity to listen well and inspire trust
- Resourceful and well organised
- Strong MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other computer skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and fluency in English
- Experience of working in Nigeria or at least Sub Saharan Africa would be an advantage
To be successful as a member of the Universal Learning Solutions team you will also:
- Have a passion for Universal Learning Solutions’ mission and a strong desire to work for a not-for-profit organisation to bring about positive social change.
- Adhere to Universal Learning Solutions’ core values including family, humility, quality and flexibility.
Please send a copy of your CV and covering letter explaining your suitability for the role and why you would like to work with us to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 23rd July. Interviews will take place the week after in our Lancaster office.