Head of External Relations
The employer is a leading energy services provider.
- As Head of External Relations (Scotland), you will use your professional public affairs experience and business acumen to create and effectively manage stakeholder relationships in Scotland. You will develop and deliver the stakeholder engagement plans that are critical to the company's ability to build and operate renewable energy projects in Scotland and, more broadly, to our ongoing social license to operate.
- You will be an ambassador for the company, nationally in Scotland, and regionally. Key stakeholders include, among others: politicians, government departments, a range of national and regional government agencies covering economic development, energy, and environment, as well as non-governmental organisations and trade associations.
- You'll work closely with colleagues responsible for public affairs, policy, project and community liaison, communications and brand. Together you will ensure a coordinated approach to engaging and influencing these stakeholders.
- This is a senior role and will involve working with Executive Directors, Managing Directors and other senior managers across the company and the wider Group to navigate the political and stakeholder landscape, review current and emerging issues and provide effective and reasoned counsel in order to influence the strategic direction of the business.
- To be successful, you'll have in-depth experience and knowledge of managing external affairs in the energy sector or a similar high-profile, complex industry.
- You'll be highly collaborative with great business partnering skills and the gravitas to engage with stakeholders at all levels. You'll have experience of both working closely with and providing strategic counsel to senior executives. First class interpersonal skills are therefore vital to enable you to build and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- You'll have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey arguments that persuade and influence others as well as confidence and credibility to act as a senior spokesperson on behalf of the company.
- You'll be a self-starter with the initiative to proactively identify issues and the ability to motivate others to resolve them. You'll have the ability to track and measure the impact of your work and a drive for continuous improvement.
- A working knowledge of UK political and parliamentary processes is vital, with a focus on Scottish legislation and processes. An understanding of the UK and EU energy policy landscape would also be highly beneficial, as would knowledge of the Scottish planning process.