Head of South West Programmes
DEADLINE OF SUNDAY 28th July!
As an award-winning, fast-growing social enterprise focussed on social mobility our mission is to support young people from disadvantaged communities to identify and fulfil their potential.
Working in partnership with schools, we deliver academic coaching programmes that improve a pupil's grades, confidence and independence so they can win places at top universities and high level apprenticeships.
Having turned five years old in February 2019, we are at an exciting stage of growth and have ambitious plans to scale our impact and reach. Currently working across London, West Midlands, South West and recently the Isle of Wight, for the first time, we are looking to thoughtfully scale our academic programmes into hard to reach deprivation areas. Over the next 3 years, we are aiming to support over 10,000 young people.
After an emerging leader as our Head of South West
The South West has been one of our key emerging hubs. Since 2015, we have developed partnerships and relationships across the region with schools, universities and collaborators. We are now looking for a leader to realise the region's full potential. We need an outgoing self-starter to drive our work in the South West (Exeter, Plymouth and Bristol) forward, making it a commercially sustainable hub that delivers real social impact.
As the public face of the organisation, you will be responsible for partnership development, profile raising and managing our programmes from volunteer recruitment all the way through to evaluation. This is an "in-at-the-deep-end" role and s/he will flourish in a small dynamic team with real influence in decision making.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Growing the South West as a sustainable CoachBright region:
- Generating new school leads and securing programmes
- Generating income outside of school programmes
- Growing a strong and supportive network of schools, Multi-Academy Trusts (MATs), universities, corporate partners and others
- Ensuring retention of volunteer coaches (meeting minimum targets set termly)
Create a thriving community of social mobility advocates among university students and young professionals:
- Delivering recruitment plan for South West programmes to meet termly targets
- Training volunteers in coaching and our pedagogy.
Oversee multiple in-school programmes (university student led and peer to peer) across the South West:
- Setting timelines for programme start and finish dates
- Communicating with school staff weekly to provide feedback after sessions
- Visiting schools to oversee quality.
Programme Design and Delivery:
- Contributing to the design of current workshops and creating new workshops when needed
- Running in-school workshops for groups of pupils (KS3-5) and facilitating university trips at the start and end of our programmes
Managing partnerships with South West universities:
- Maintaining regular contact with relevant staff members in outreach and or/volunteering teams at each South West university
- Managing room bookings for events at university campuses
Line managing a team of Head Coaches:
- Delivering training for Head Coaches in the South West
- Holding 1-1 appraisals to monitor performance and set actions
Embodying our values (humility, high expectations, serving the team, responsibility and resilience) and demonstrating commitment to our mission.
Essential characteristics and experience
- Passion for social mobility: we have big aims and are looking for those who share our desire to make education fairer in the UK so a person's background does not determine their future.
- Relationship building and facilitating: this a public-facing role so you will love delivering workshops to groups as well as communicating our mission to a wide range of stakeholders (businesses, senior members of MATs, universities etc.)
- Organisation: working in a fast paced young organisation you'll be able to work between different programmes and workstreams.
- Resourcefulness: we're a small, dedicated team - you must be a self-starter prepared for practical roles with lots of responsibility. A willingness to stay solution-focused with last minute challenges is a must!
- Young People: experience in a school or youth organisation as a facilitator.
- Flexibility: the role will occasionally involve working evenings & weekends
- Full, clean driving licence: the role will involve substantial travel across the region visiting our partners across Exeter, Plymouth and Bristol so will need to have access to a car and be able to drive.
- 2-3 years frontline experience working in a school or social sector for example as a teacher or workshop facilitator.
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Experience measuring and evaluating the impact of youth-based programmes.
- Experience of sales in an education context.
- Knowledge of programme design, pedagogy or coaching.
- Knowledge of UK university sector, including knowledge of the UCAS process.
- An opportunity to play a leading role in shaping a young, exciting social enterprise with scope to input strategically and grow quickly.
- Starting Salary: ??23-28k per annum (dependent on experience).
- Annual Leave: 28 days (to be taken by arrangement, usually during the school holidays).
- Office in the University of Exeter
- Training: we are a reflective organisation and keen to support your professional development. Opportunities include:
- Being matched with a mentor in the social sector
- Becoming an accredited Executive Coach
- Length: 12 month contract to permanent (extension likely dependent on performance and funding).
- Hours: Full time, 5 days per week (with some weekend/evening hours during recruitment phase which will be acknowledged in TOIL)
- Reporting to: CEO and Founder
- Responsible for: South West region
- Start Date: 26th - 30th August 2019 for the all staff training residential in Birmingham followed by official start on 16th September.
- Location: Exeter, with travel between office in the University of Exeter, St Luke's campus and partner schools across the region. Also there will be semi-regular visits to other regions including London and West Midlands. Our South West office is University of Exeter, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter EX1 2LU
- Online applications by Sunday 28th July
- First round interviews will take place in Exeter Tuesday 30th July, followed by a second round of interviews in London on Thursday 8th August.