Community Links Manager
Launched in 2010, One Community Foundation is a registered charity that supports the ‘not for profit’ and charitable sector across Kirklees, by raising funds from donors and using those funds to make grants to charitable organisations. The Foundation is now looking to widen its activities by providing other forms of support for the sector.
There are over 2,500 community and voluntary organisations in Kirklees many of which rely on the time and skills put in by their volunteers. Finding and recruiting the volunteers they need is crucial to their success and sustainability. Some organisations can recruit all the volunteers they need but many struggle.
There are already many committed volunteers in our area – but there are many more people who would be prepared to give their time if encouraged, and if the right opportunity was presented. We want to mobilise these people into volunteering, giving them the reward that comes from voluntary work and giving charities the volunteers they rely on.
The post exists to promote and substantially increase volunteering activity in Kirklees, so strengthening voluntary groups in the area. This is a newly created position, nominally for three years, and the successful candidate will work within the One Community Foundation office based in central Huddersfield. The role will involve frequent travel across Kirklees. Success in this role is likely to make the role permanent.
The Community Links Manager will:
- Working with voluntary groups identify the skills and resources those groups need to help them survive and grow. In particular establish their need for volunteers with relevant skills.
- Find potential new volunteers, discover their interests and motivate them to volunteer.
- Match voluntary organisations and new volunteers – fit round pegs in round holes.
- Introduce organisations to sources of funding and support.
The role will develop over time but will initially include:
- Working with charities to understand their needs.
- Working with individuals and groups of potential volunteers show them the benefits of getting involved. ‘Light a spark’ in them.
- Working with businesses to explore their CSR wishes (volunteering and funding) and to make contact with individuals who might be retiring and be looking for volunteer roles.
- Working with educational institutions, business groups and other relevant organisations to promote volunteering and find new volunteers (and student placements).
- Exploring other ways of promoting volunteering and finding volunteers.
- Organising and signposting other forms of support.
- Promoting One Community Foundation to charities and potential donors.
- Forming close links and working with other volunteer organisations to ensure actions are complementary, rather than in competition.
Success will be measured primarily by the number of additional volunteers that are placed in voluntary groups. Other forms of support successfully delivered will also be measured and valued. Longer term, success will be reflected in the health and sustainability of voluntary groups across the Kirklees area.
Responsible to: General Manager / Trustee
- Salary negotiable.
- Job available as Full-time or Part-time pro rata (flexible hours required, as some weekend and evening working may be required).
- 40 hours per week (Initially for 3 years, permanent if the role is developed successfully).
- 25 days holiday, Option to participate in the NEST Contributory Pension Scheme.
- Requirement to travel throughout Kirklees.
Selection will be based on skills, personal attributes and experience relevant to the role. Please include your CV, together with a personal statement outlining your suitability for the position, (no more than 1,200 words). Deadline for applications: Tuesday 10th September.