Location: Teesside (Stockton)
Job Family_ R&DJohnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that's not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Development Chemist within the Petrochemicals and Renewables team, predominantly based at our Stockton site in Teesside. This position will directly support the Catalyst Technologies business, working on a number of research programmes to validate catalysts and develop new technologies across a range of petrochemical applications.
The successful applicant will join a team focused on the development of new technology for licensing to a world-wide customer base, encompassing catalyst testing and process optimisation using a range of advanced equipment from bench top to pilot plant scale. Working at the core of several fast-paced research programmes in a truly dynamic R&D environment, this role will provide the opportunity to experience commercial success through participation in overseas commissioning assignments.Key responsibilities
- Perform experiments and assigned tasks within a defined project plan, with responsibility for weekly and monthly planning of work.
- Provide creative and innovative solutions to overcome technical challenges and meet project deadlines.
- Collate, interpret and critically analyse experimental data and provide meaningful feedback into development reviews.
- Provide written and verbal updates through contribution to internal monthly R&D reports and participation in project review meetings.
- Participate in discussions with internal stakeholders to set technical targets for work programmes.
- Builds awareness of scientific literature relevant to the research area.
- Contribute towards innovation and preservation of Intellectual Property.
- Develops an understanding and working knowledge of a broad range of analytical techniques/methods to provide customer support in troubleshooting and commissioning assignments.
- Complies with EHS and Quality standards, initiates risk assessments and actively identifies opportunities for continual EHS improvements.
- Be degree qualified in chemistry or equivalent, post-graduate/relevant industrial R&D experience desirable.
- Have strong trouble-shooting skills with an ability to implement innovative and practical solutions.
- Be able to communicate technical information effectively, with strong written and verbal reporting skills.
- Be a strong team player with an ability to multitask and work effectively in a dynamic R&D environment.
- Have a fundamental understanding of catalysis with some knowledge/experience of preparation and testing.
How to apply_
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. For more information please email . If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, and would like to apply please complete an online application.
Closing date for applications_ 26 August 2019