Estate and Land Manager (Conservation & Environmental)
Title: Estate and Land Manager (Conservation & Environmental)
Reporting To: Gardens and Estate Manager
The Lost Gardens of Heligan are looking to recruit an Estate and Land Manager to be responsible for the day to day management of the farm, woodlands and grassland that constitute 160 acres of the 200 acres managed by the Lost Gardens of Heligan.
This role will include the welfare and management of our rare breed livestock, the continued restoration and maintenance of areas of historic parkland and woodland, the conservation and enhancement of our native flora and fauna, while sustaining and improving our visitors' appreciation and understanding of all elements of Heligan Estate. The Estate and Land Manager will be responsible for providing inspirational leadership to a team of seven.
The role will call for practical, hands-on ability as well as proven capability to help develop strategic, long and short term management plans. The Estate and Land Manager will be expected to manage budgets, support visitor events and work collaboratively with both internal and external parties. The vacancy represents a very exciting opportunity to help forge the estate's future with a clear focus on conservation, wildlife and rare breed livestock.
In order to fulfil this role you will ideally have:
• Experience in:
- conservation grassland management
- woodland management
- livestock management, welfare and compliance.
- delivering ecological surveys.
- leading, motivating and inspiring a team.
- managing farming and woodland grant funding schemes
- organising events and involving the public in projects.
- balancing conservation, access, presentation and engagement
• A demonstrable dedication to protecting the environment and conserving wildlife
• A good level of ecological knowledge and understanding of conservation issues
• Project management skills and a commercial awareness
• A competence with machinery and equipment as well as having the relevant certificates required: use of chainsaws (CS30, 31), brushcutters, pedestrian mowers and tractors
• A full UK driving licence and experience of off-road driving
Qualities you will need to display:
As well as a proven track record in the relevant fields, the ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, confident in both the written and spoken word. You will be happy to work collaboratively with colleagues and external partners. You enjoy working with animals as well as people. Working in a public-facing capacity is something you relish.
In return you will be rewarded with:
• Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
• Free Parking
• Sociable hours with no shift work
• Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies
• Discounted staff meals within our tea rooms.
Closing Date: 31st August 2019
Starting Salary: ??25K - negotiable depending on experience
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a personal statement (no more than 1 side of A4) explaining why you would be great in this role, to