Software Developer - Science & Engineering Research
About The Role CIQHP
TRL currently has a unique opportunity for a software developer with an interest in developing and supporting bespoke solutions that enable our researchers to drive the future of transport. The role is based in TRL's head office in Crowthorne, Berkshire.
Applicants will be considered on both a permanent and contract basis.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
We are looking to recruit a high-performing individual with experience of the whole software lifecycle, who would love to use their programming knowledge to work directly with scientists, engineers, data scientists and statisticians to develop software solutions that support the delivery of projects and services to our clients. The role will involve understanding requirements and delivering new software solutions as well as taking on the development and support of existing bespoke software solutions. The successful candidate will get involved directly in ground-breaking projects in areas including research in telematics and connected and autonomous vehicles.
As the software expert within a multi-skilled team of scientists and researchers, interested candidates must be able to demonstrate a keen eye for problem solving and enjoy mentoring and coaching others.
Skills & Experience
- Experienced in the full software lifecycle from requirements, design, build and test through to product management and support
- Experienced in developing front-end applications, back-end databases, reporting functionality, integration and API's.
- Experienced in the design and development of databases including relational databases, non-SQL e.g. MongoDB, Hadoop, MS Access.
- Experienced in source control management e.g. GitHub, SVN.
- Great communication and problem solving skills.
- Able to work independently.
- Demonstrable flair for understanding requirements, software design and development.
- Adaptability and drive to see tasks through to completion.
- Ability to determine and champion the use of software systems to drive efficiency and effective working.
Suitable applicants will be able to demonstrate a background in two or more of the following:
- Experience of developing bespoke software to support research.
- Experience in computational science, algorithm development and modelling.
- A demonstrable interest in transport research, road safety, automotive, telematics or traffic modelling software
- Experience of working with large complex datasets.
- Experience of structured software development processes.
- Knowledge of IT hardware including on-premise, Azure and AWS Cloud, Linux.
Applicants should be degree qualified within a related science or engineering discipline.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package