Junior Merchandiser - Wholesale
Location: Head Office Hanger Lane London
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world's leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as a Wholesale Junior Merchandiser?
Exciting opportunity for a Junior Merchandiser to join our Wholesale Team! Reporting to the Ecommerce Director you will be responsible for the management of Marketplace, the newest 3 rd party way of working for our business. Marketplace allows us to sell on third party websites but maintain control of the range - an area with huge growth opportunity.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Evaluates current and historical information to create a strategic view of each division at department level
- Identify risks and opportunities and incorporate these into planning process to maximise profit
- Plan intake to deliver options as appropriate to keep 'newness' flowing
- Manage OTB across all divisions, driving their intake through reviewing product selection with Account managers and highlighting areas of potential risk
- Upkeep of range plan, WSSI and all trading documents for your area
Managing sales performance
- Manage 'Open To Buy' and poor performance lines by effective use of mark-down and promotional activity.
- Identify and potentialise sales trends, looking at opportunities for repeat buying, re-phasing, re-styling, re-colouring cancellations and re-pricing
- Share marketplace information across all levels of the business, working closely with the Wholesale, Ecommerce and International teams, to ensure international requirements and opportunities are maximised
- Forecast sales across all divisions by department and present reforecasts to Director on a monthly basis
- Propose, action and Analyse trial performance to build strategies for future growth
- Monitor competitor activity within marketplace making recommendations to drive sales
- Walk all sites weekly to ensure all content and information is correct and understand visibility levels
- Complete seasonal and trading half SWOT analysis to form strategies for the next season
Managing the partner and 3 rd parties
- Develop the business by building strong communication links with partners - relationship building is key
- Manage each point of contact to receive required information in a timely manner
- Communication with 3 rd party contacts between you and the partner for accurate data
- Together with Wholesale Merchandisers, manage and develop the Assistant Merchandisers and Allocation team, overseeing and delegating their workload
- Consider and identify projects for development of more junior team members
- Manage and communicate with marketplace teams across all functions of the business including IT, Finance, Shipping and DC
Suitable candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Currently operating as a Junior Merchandiser from a fashion background (either core or online merchandising)
- Experience or knowledge of Wholesale would be beneficial
- Strong commercial awareness with an interest in fashion and retail
- Highly numerate and analytical with an emphasis on attention to detail
- Effective communication skills across all business levels and ability to build strong relationships across multiple teams
- Demonstrates resilience, and works well under pressure
- A methodical/logical approach to work and the ability to prioritise effectively
- Strong Microsoft excel skills
- Confident working independently and as part of a team
- Experience of managing, coaching and developing a team
- Love the brand as much as we do!