Firmware Design Engineer
Position: Firmware Design Engineer
Location: Near to High Wycombe
Firmware Design Engineer needed to join a global corporation that are focused on the development of scientific instrumentation to help improve the quality of life. They are looking for someone who has a good working knowledge of hardware (including electronics), control systems, and Digital Signal Processing and can also write basic Windows PC test harnesses as necessary to prove out their firmware interfaces.
What you will be doing:
Design, develop and support the Real Time software components and low-level communications software including:
- The Embedded software design within a project and co-ordination of activities with other engineers and designers as required. To understand the electronics and Embedded software requirements for new instrumentation and to develop a functional specification for these sub-systems.
- Development and introduction of innovative designs incorporating new technologies where appropriate. To test out new ideas and concepts either by simulation or prototyping.
- Gathering and analysis of system requirements and their translation into a firmware specification in order to provide a fit for purpose solution.
- Working within an interdisciplinary project team to resolve any issues involving the firmware systems performance, development time schedules and resourcing requirements.
- To provide required test specifications, software and hardware to manufacturing and board suppliers.
- To support existing products, documenting changes and improvements.
- Design and analysis of firmware for complex programmable devices and systems of devices.
- Driving the development of prototypes, performance and verification testing.
- Supporting compliance, regulatory and quality requirements related to design activities.
- Engaging in all phases of new product introduction, including concept, architecture documentation, design, prototype, test, supplier interfaces, and manufacturing introduction.
- Conceptualisation, implementation and verification of complete instrument systems.
- Design releases - technical product documentation (software design & test specifications).
- Transferring firmware to manufacturing, developing firmware download tools, troubleshooting and supporting ramp up.
Technical Experience needed:
- Bachelor of Science or equivalent in Electronics/Physics/Engineering with a Computing bias.
- Proven ability to take Embedded software designs from concept through to full manufacturing.
- Experience with multi-threaded Embedded software designs using a Real Time operating system.
- Ability to test out ideas and concepts either by simulation or hands-on prototyping.
- Ability to program in Assembler and higher-level languages such as C/C++.
- Experience with the Microsoft Visual Studio tools or similar for developing test harnesses using C/C++/C#.
- Able to use firmware development tools to troubleshoot own or existing designs.
- Arm/PIC/68k knowledge would be an advantage.
- Experience of Ethernet/USB/Serial/Bluetooth LE comms would be an advantage.
- Experience with general digital hardware designs using glue logics and programmable devices like CPLD, FPGA, ASIC and their programming tools, specifically Altera and Xilinx would be an advantage
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to engage and work closely with members of a cross-functional team particularly in electronics and software.
- Ability to assess technical risk and to formulate effective risk management strategy including analysis and evaluation program.
- Ability to plan projects, including providing timescale estimates, and allocate/prioritise tasks accordingly.
It would be great if you had:
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack.
- Knowledge of physics a plus.
- Optics, electronics or thermal analysis experience a plus
- At least 3 years MPLAB/Eclipse/IAR experience.
- Experience with source control tools such as Git, Perforce, SVN.
- Experience in developing high precision designs
- Experience of product development within a company making some form of measurement instrumentation an advantage
- Familiarity with product design methodologies such as a life cycle model eg PACE
- Masters or similar qualification in Physics/Electronics Engineering/Computer Science