DBA/Database (Oracle & SQL) Platform Engineer
Job purpose: Undertake routine and non-routine general deployments, configuration, support, manage and maintain United Utilities Oracle, Microsoft SQL, data management and associated technology. Database platform services include, but not limited to capabilities typically classified as data management and general database technologies.
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Knowledge and experience with database technologies like Oracle, Microsoft SQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Good understanding and knowledge of Operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris.
- Experience with Storage and backup software (eg Veeam, EMC DDboost for SQL and IBM Spectrum Suite).
- Experience with Oracle RMAN and ideally EMC DDboost and Veeam backup and recovery technology
- Experience of capacity planning and utilisation reporting.
- Experience with deployment of high-availability database architectures.
- Experience with diagnostic and troubleshooting tools like Spotlight for SQL and Oracle Enterprise Manager, etc.
- Experience with virtualisation technologies like VMware EXSi (preferred).
- Experience with Oracle APEX (optional).
- Demonstrate methodical and analytical approach in troubleshooting, problem solving with a sense of ownership.
- Methodical and analytical approach in troubleshooting, problem solving and remediation.
- Good understanding of security best practices, including principle of least privileges and access control.
- Experience with Scripting languages such as PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl, Curl, etc.
- Batch scheduling concepts, preferable IBM Workload Scheduler (IWS).
- Experience in TLS/SSL/PKI concepts and certificate deployment and renewal.
- Knowledge and skills in using T-SQL, PL/SQL.
- Manage and Support Oracle databases effectively using appropriate OS system and database commands.
- Manage and Support MS SQL databases effectively using appropriate OS system and database commands.
- Experience with diagnostic and troubleshooting tools to resolve database faults and performance issues.
- Certification would be an advantage for Oracle, MS SQL or both database technologies.
- Experience in the support and management of Oracle RAC and SQL always-on-Availability databases.
- General experience of building, configuring, supporting and maintaining Oracle and MS SQL databases versions 11g to 18c and 2008 to 2019 respectively.
- Understanding of networks and storage platforms.
- Maintain relationships and work effectively as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to both technical and non-technical audiences including peers, managers and customers.
- Experience of using helpdesk tools, Remedy an advantage, to manage Incidents, Problems and Change.
- Understand of ITIL processes and standards.
Educated to degree level in an IT discipline, or equivalent.