Finance and Admin Manager
Job Title: Finance and Admin Manager
Salary: £33,000 - £38,000 pro rata depending on experience
Hours: Flexible hours. 1-2 days per week until April then 3-4 days a week after
Location: Based in our Lancaster office with the possibility of travel to Valencia and Nigeria.
Universal Learning Solutions is a not-for-profit organisation that works with government, educators, donors and experts around the world to provide bespoke services that deliver innovative literacy solutions.
Our work enables and enthuses teachers to deliver high quality literacy tuition and builds the institutional capacity of partners through knowledge and skills transfer. This gives children of all abilities the skills needed to read and write and helps governments meet their global education targets.
Our vision is of a world where all children can read and write with confidence and enjoy their right to learn. Through this we believe we can help release a child’s infinite potential.
This is an exciting role that will look to provide financial management and strategic oversight to help ensure that Africa’s largest English literacy project continues to deliver success and transform the lives of millions of children. The primary role of the Finance and Admin Manager is to maintain all finance systems and processes for the UK, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa companies. Working with diverse teams across all countries, this is a unique role that requires high levels of cross-cultural collaboration, understanding of different international, financial and legal requirements and a flexible approach to working.
To date, Universal Learning Solutions has trained over 100,000 Primary Teachers and has reached over 10 million children. As a core member of the Senior Management Team, this role will be essential in managing and enabling our growth to train thousands more teachers and increase literacy rates across our programmes.
The Finance and Admin Manager will be responsible for the oversight of the finances across all our country programmes. Reporting to the CEO, the Finance and Admin Manager will advise on financial strategy and ensure that financial procedures and systems are adhered to throughout the organisation. With support from the Finance Assistant, the Manager will also oversee all data entry, reconciling and reporting using both Sage Line 50 and excel.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Manage the UK, Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya accounts in line with existing policies and procedures.
- File UK VAT returns.
- Submit monthly management accounts reports to the Management team for the UK and quarterly reports for Nigeria.
- Making international payments using both STRIPE and online services.
- Verifying travel expense claims and payments.
- Manage the UK cashflow, ensuring the international transfers are completed and forecasted.
- Prepare the UK budget and Nigeria HQ budget with Directors.
- Oversee the monthly project management budget sheets.
- Prepare and file the UK annual accounts with HMRC and Companies House.
- Prepare the Nigerian Annual Accounts with the external auditor.
- Prepare the Kenyan Accounts with the external auditor
- Prepare the South African annual accounts ready to file with CIPC.
- Online SARS filing for South African taxes.
- Attend Senior Management Team meetings and input into annual strategic planning.
- Advise directors and managers on tax requirements across our country programmes.
- Prepare and chase invoices as and when required.
HR & Payroll:
- Processing the monthly payroll for the UK using the RTI software with the Finance Assistant.
- Ensuring all HMRC payments and requirements are met.
- Approving monthly Nigerian payroll.
- Work closely with the Nigerian Finance & Admin Manager to file the monthly PAYE with FIRS.
- Completing and uploading the monthly pension schedule.
- Issuing of salary sacrifice letters to relevant staff members.
- Prepare and submit furlough payments and ensure that correct procedures are adhered to, based on government guidance.
Staff Supervision and Management:
- Oversee the Finance and Admin Assistants in Nigeria.
- Manage the UK Finance Assistant.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and financial skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with deadlines.
- Good analytical and reporting skills.
- Strong ability, to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks – Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel and Sage.
- Accurate and thorough in work.
- Good collaboration with colleagues inside and outside finance.
- Analysis of financial data.
- Knowledge of project management and project cycles.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
We will require candidates to be qualified in the majority of points below from both the ‘desirable’ and ‘essential’ criteria:
- Recognised accounting qualification.
- Minimum of 4+ years’ experience within an accounting role.
- Working knowledge of accounting software and excel.
- Experience of managing a diverse workload.
- Experience of managing and processing payroll.
- Positive working ethos and personal values in line with those of the organisation.
- Experience of working at a strategic level.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in approach to work.
To be successful as a member of the Universal Learning Solutions team you will also:
- Have a passion for Universal Learning Solutions’ mission and a strong desire to work for a not-for-profit organisation to bring about positive social change.
- Adhere to Universal Learning Solutions’ core values including family, humility, quality and flexibility.
- Working knowledge of pension systems.
- Willingness to travel overseas.
- Experience of managing staff, particularly overseas.
- Experience working with international non-governmental organisations, preferably in the field of education / literacy in the developing world.
To apply please send CV and covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role by 7th December. Interviews will be held in our Lancaster office the following week. We will adhere to social distancing guidelines within the interview and all surfaces will be sanitised between interviews.