Lawyer (Governance) R/L10a
Grade L – Salary £41,216 pa
Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote)
Permanent / Full Time (37 hours per week)
Closing date 6th December 2020
We are seeking to appoint a Governance Lawyer in our Legal Team. It is an exciting time to join the West Yorkshire Combined Authority as a Governance Lawyer - we are changing our governance arrangements to be ready for the first Mayor for West Yorkshire who will be elected in May 2021.
The CA and Leeds City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) work with local councils and businesses to ensure that everyone in our region benefits from a strong, successful economy and a modern, accessible transport network. You will help deliver the £1.8bn devolution deal secured for West Yorkshire, which will enable us to drive up living standards through better transport, improved skills and stronger businesses, while tackling the climate emergency.
Reporting to the Lead Lawyer - Mayoral Combined Authority (MCA) Governance, your key responsibilities will include:
- Developing, drafting and implementing changes to our governance arrangements which deliver political objectives within a legal framework, and promote efficient decision-making, openness and accountability.
- Advising and providing training to elected Members and officers on governance issues, including decision-making arrangements and ethical standards.
You will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FCILEx with (but not limited to) the following key skills, attributes and experience:
- Experience of providing legal advice on local government governance issues,
- Strong communication skills and stakeholder management
- Experience of forming effective working relationships with senior officers and elected Members, to achieve the best outcomes.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme,
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card,
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We are using Microsoft Teams for virtual hiring and remote on-boarding to help our candidates and hiring managers stay safe.
For further information about the role, please contact Liz Davenport on email@example.com
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, race, gender, religion or beliefs, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
To apply for this role, please click the apply button by 11:55pm on 06 December 2020.
Given the high volumes of applications we receive we are unable to respond to every applicant, therefore if you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted