Sector Manager – Finance, Business and Professional Services
Sector Manager – Finance, Business and Professional Services
Grade L: £41,216 per annum
Full Time - 37 hours per week
Location: Leeds City Centre (currently working remotely) with travel expected across Leeds City Region and some UK and overseas travel.
West Yorkshire Combined Authority is seeking to appoint a Sector Manager for Finance, Business, and Professional Services to join our Trade and Investment team.
We bring together local councils and businesses, through the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) ensure that our work meets the needs of employers so that everyone in our region can benefit from economic prosperity supported by a modern, accessible transport network, housing and digital connections.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal that has been secured for West Yorkshire. Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
An opportunity to be a key player in the growth of trade and investment in Leeds City Region. This role will lead on the attraction and support of the Finance, Business and Professional Services sector for the region.
The Sector Manager will develop and lead a programme of business development for attracting and retaining inward investment in the Leeds City Region. Working in partnership with key stakeholders and alongside colleagues in the Trade and Investment team the Sector Manager will articulate the regions sector strengths and implement plans to support the attraction of new investors, grow international trade and build strategic relationships.
Reporting into Trade & Investment Manager – FDI and Industrial Sectors, your key responsibilities will include:
- Develop and implement the strategic business development plan to promote Leeds City Region’s proposition for inward investment in Finance, Business and Professional Services, to secure new investment and jobs into the City Region.
- Manage a range of investment projects that support a client to make a positive decision including research, inward investment visits, bespoke proposals, and stakeholder engagements.
- Identify a targeted approach to generating new investment leads, promoting the region to potential investors with a geographic and sub-sector focus
- Develop a strong understanding of trends in the Finance, Business, and Professional Services sector, particularly relevant to the drivers of competitive advantage and their impact on location.
- Build and maintain an up to date ‘compendium’ of assets and contacts relevant to the sector that will promote the Leeds City Region sector proposition and help understand the commercial opportunity.
- Produce inward investment briefs, performance reports, and content to support marketing and communications activity.
- Establish strategic relationships with the major Finance, Business, and Professional Services businesses and stakeholders to support growth and identification of future opportunities.
- Be a champion for Finance, Business and Professional Services sector within the Combined Authority and offer insight and advice to our Governance boards and panels.
Please review the Role Profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education, and experience
- A team player, who has a cooperative and proactive style to achieve success.
- Business-to-business (b2b) influencing and relationship-building skills, with a demonstrable track record of problem-solving and effective business development with senior industry decision-makers.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and deadlines whilst developing strong relationships with businesses and stakeholders.
- The ability to identify, and effectively communicate methods of de-risking a client’s commercial investments to ensure the strongest value proposition is delivered to inward investors.
- Able to build trusting relationships with investors, government, and stakeholders to deliver trade and investment success.
- Experience of inward investment/economic development and the key drivers in investment decision making and economic growth
- A knowledge and understanding of the City Region’s Finance, Business and Professional Services sector and the international drivers for the sector in relation to trade and investment.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous employer contribution pension scheme
- Fully funded travel in West Yorkshire on bus and rail with the MCard
- Flexible working practises with Health and Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
If this sounds like your next role, please click the Apply button now and upload your CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
Please apply by 11:55 pm on Thursday 3rd December 2020.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis. The annual pay award for the financial year 2020/21 is still pending and will be applied to the salary structure as appropriate once confirmed.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.